The Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild’s collections include the permanent collection, the Alf Evers Archive, and the Alf Evers Library.
The Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild’s permanent collection includes nearly 200 examples of Arts and Crafts furniture, decorative arts, and two-dimensional works created during the golden age of the Byrdcliffe Art Colony, founded in 1902 by Ralph Radcliffe Whitehead, Jane Byrd McCall Whitehead, Bolton Coit Brown, and Hervey White. More about Byrdcliffe’s history can be found here.
Byrdcliffe’s collection can be consulted on the joint database of the Hudson Valley Visual Arts Collection Consortium (HVVACC).
HVVACC comprises the Center for Photography at Woodstock, the Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art, Women’s Studio Workshop, Woodstock Artists Association and Museum, and the Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild. Its purpose is to raise awareness of the Hudson Valley’s rich artistic and creative culture, both past and present, and to increase access to the works in the participating institutions’ permanent collections for the educational benefit of scholars, students, curators, historians, authors, and the people of the Hudson Valley.
ALF EVERS ARCHIVE
The Alf Evers Archive consists of approximately 12,000 documents collected by historian Alf Evers as research for his books, including rare magazines and maps, clippings on hundreds of subjects of regional and national importance, and over 8,000 slides and other photographs. For more information and to schedule a research appointment, click here.
ALF EVERS LIBRARY
The Alf Evers Library includes approximately 1,500 books from the library of Alf Evers, consisting largely of U.S. history, urban studies, art and architecture, biography, and memoirs. The library catalogue is an ongoing project; an appointment to visit the library can be made by calling 845.679.2079.
The acquisition of the Alf Evers Archive and Library was made possible through donations from Arline Lederman and Ed Friedman, and the Douglas C. James Charitable Trust.
Image credits from left to right: George William Eggers, Chest with Winter Landscape, 1904. Oak with painted panels, 64.5 x 60 x 23.75 inches // Ralph and Jane Whitehead, Vase with Eucalyptus painted on turquoise ground, c. 1915-1926. Ceramic, 8 inches high. Gift of the Douglas C. James Charitable Trust // Photo of Alf Evers.