Job Title: Handyman
Department: Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild
Reports to: Interim Committee
Status: Salaried 30 hours a week
Schedule: Flexible, some weekends/ nights required
The Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild is a regional center for the arts located in Woodstock, New York. From its 250-acre mountainside campus and its arts and performance center in the village of Woodstock, Byrdcliffe offers an integrated program of exhibitions, performances, classes, workshops, symposia, and artists’ residencies. Byrdcliffe was founded in 1902 and has operated as a nonprofit organization since 1938.
Our Handyman is a reliable hands-on and experienced maintenance person who undertakes upkeep and repair tasks at the Byrdcliffe Colony and its buildings as well as our 34 Tinker St complex. The Handyman builds, repairs, fixes, and replaces anything that needs fixing or built with a keen eye to detail and physical stamina. Experience in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical a must. They work unsupervised, though in collaboration with the Administrative staff and Property Committee, and prioritize their schedule. Owning basic tools required. Being well-organized with strong general repair skills is mandatory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out all seasonal and annual tasks associated with the protection, security, maintenance, repairs, cleaning, painting and preservation of the properties.
- Maintain the Byrdcliffe Colony and 34 Tinker St buildings, grounds, roads and walkways on an ongoing basis.
- Prepare ongoing maintenance plans for review by the Interim Committee and Property Committee.
- Tender bids for all potential work, present to the Property Committee, hire and supervise all outside contractors, volunteers and alternative sentencing crews.
- Assist with tenant change-overs, including tenant orientation on heating and electric requirements.
- Liaise with tenants and deal with property issues they encounter, enforce regulations and perform safety inspections on a regular basis.
- Oversee maintenance of all water, sewer, heating and cooling systems in all properties. Coordinate with the Town of Woodstock on all town-run systems affecting the organization.
- Report to the Interim Committee on a monthly basis. The work of the Handyman is supported and advised by the organizations Property Committee through the Interim Committee.
Handyman Qualifications / Skills:
- Experienced in hands-on building/property maintenance and repair
- Competence with standard tools, equipment, and supplies
- Negotiation and contract creation/execution
- Familiarity with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Competence with office management software
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- 3-5 years’ experience in property management, construction
- Associations and certifications a plus
- 1-3 years’ management experience a plus
- Solid knowledge of office software such as Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
Qualified candidates should submit their resume, certifications, and a minimum of three references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Handyman Application
Compensation is based on your motivation and skill. Hiring staff will only be in contact with those that meet our minimum hiring specifications.
The Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild is an equal opportunity employer and we celebrate creativity and diversity. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical??? condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or ?expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.